Uganda denies Ebola presence, tightens border controls as regional fears grow in East Africa

KAMPALA, Uganda (NPA) — The Ministry of Health Uganda has announced that there are currently no active Ebola cases in the country following the recovery of a patient who had been receiving treatment.
The announcement was made by Diana Atwine, Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Health, after a meeting of the National Task Force on Ebola Virus Disease convened by the Vice President of Uganda, Jessica Alupo.
According to the ministry, the individual who had been under treatment tested negative for the virus and is now awaiting full recovery and discharge.
Despite the development, Ugandan authorities announced a series of strict preventive measures aimed at stopping the spread of Ebola from neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo, where an outbreak continues to spread.
Among the resolutions reached by the task force is the intensification of nationwide public awareness campaigns on infection prevention and control measures through radio, television, social media, religious institutions, cultural organisations, and local government structures.
The government also directed enhanced screening, testing and treatment capacity along the Uganda-DRC border based on ongoing risk assessments.
Authorities further announced the temporary suspension of cultural celebrations and commemorative events that attract large gatherings in border communities near the DRC.
Uganda additionally suspended public passenger ferry services on the Semliki River, cross-border bus transport and other forms of public transportation between Uganda and the DRC for four weeks, although food and goods transportation will still be permitted.
The government also ordered stronger border patrols along porous crossing points to reduce illegal movements between the two countries.
Other measures include the suspension of weekly markets in high-risk border districts, stricter enforcement of health Standard Operating Procedures in schools, hotels, prisons, places of worship and non-weekly markets, as well as tighter monitoring of deaths in districts considered vulnerable to the outbreak.
Authorities said schools across Uganda would reopen as scheduled, but must strictly observe health protocols issued by the Ministry of Health.
The ministry urged the public to remain vigilant, comply with all health directives and promptly report suspected Ebola symptoms to the nearest health facility.
The latest measures come amid growing concerns over the Ebola outbreak linked to the rare Bundibugyo strain currently spreading in eastern Congo and parts of Uganda. The strain presently has no approved vaccine or specific treatment.
According to the World Health Organisation, the outbreak has so far resulted in hundreds of suspected cases and over 100 deaths in the DRC and Uganda, prompting the WHO to declare it a Public Health Emergency of International Concern earlier this week.
WHO data showed that as of May 16, at least 246 suspected cases and 80 suspected deaths had been reported in Ituri Province in eastern Congo, while additional cases and fatalities have since been recorded as the outbreak spreads to more regions.
AU Chairperson calls for unity, stronger peace efforts at security retreat in Gabon
SADC Electoral Advisory Council begins pre‑election goodwill mission ahead of August polls
Amnesty International stands with Kenyans as fuel protests turn violent
Government debunks fake public holiday notice for Arsenal fans after a 22-year wait
Amnesty International demands RSF remove commander ‘Abu Lulu’ amid war crimes allegations
Kenyan Government reduces diesel price, suspends transport strike amid fuel crisis talks
Somaliland marks 35 years of sovereignty, pushes for wider international recognition
Kenya suspends nationwide transport strike after deadly fuel price protests
- Tinubu commissions NRS Headquarters, says new tax reforms will drive prosperity
- Climate change anxiety is rising — and so is the willingness to act on it
- Golden Globes want to make a comeback this year. Hollywood isn’t buying
- Baseball boosts TBS, NFL gives ESPN a kick and streamers love ‘Squid’
- Net zero pledges offer hope of avoiding catastrophe, says UN report

Community Discussion