|
Advertisement Space

Amnesty International stands with Kenyans as fuel protests turn violent

By Lindruky Rukevwe  •  May 20, 2026, 10:51 pm

NAIROBI, Kenya (NPA) — Amnesty International Nigeria has expressed deep concern over the escalating unrest in Kenya, where protests against rising energy costs have turned deadly, prompting a heavy crackdown by security forces. The rights group said it stands in solidarity with Kenyans and urged the National Police Service to respect, protect, and facilitate the right to peaceful assembly, association, and expression.

In a statement released on Wednesday, Amnesty called for an independent and effective investigation into the killings that occurred during the demonstrations. The organisation noted that the protests were triggered by a sharp increase in fuel prices announced last week by the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority, which raised costs by up to 23.5 per cent.

The hike led to nationwide transport strikes organised by the Kenya Transport Sector Alliance, leaving thousands of commuters stranded. As tensions flared, violent clashes erupted in Nairobi, where police fired teargas and arrested dozens of protesters. At least four people were confirmed dead and several others injured.

“We stand in solidarity with Kenyans and call on the National Police Service to respect, protect and facilitate the right to freedom of peaceful assembly, association, and expression. The killings at protests must be promptly, independently and effectively investigated,” Amnesty said.

Earlier, Newpost Africa reported that the Government of Kenya announced a KSh 10 per litre reduction in diesel prices as part of measures to cushion citizens from the rising cost of fuel linked to the ongoing Middle East crisis. The decision followed negotiations between government officials and public transport stakeholders aimed at easing tensions.

Authorities also adjusted kerosene prices to narrow the gap with diesel and discourage adulteration by unscrupulous dealers. Despite the concessions, transport unions continued to demand deeper cuts. Following a meeting on Tuesday morning, both sides agreed to suspend the strike for one week to allow further dialogue.

The Ministry of Interior and National Administration condemned the violence, looting, and destruction that accompanied Monday’s protests, describing the unrest as politically motivated and hijacked by rogue actors. It cited the looting of Khetia supermarkets, the burning of a UDA office in Wote, Makueni County, and the torching of trucks at the Rironi–Mau Summit project site as deliberate acts meant to spread fear and intimidate government supporters.

The ministry also confirmed the death of Ms Rachel Wandeto, who was attacked during the protests, linking the incident to a broader scheme by political actors to incite intolerance and ethnic division. It vowed to intensify efforts against organised crime and ensure that lawlessness does not take root.

Government officials said four people were killed and more than 30 were injured in the unrest, pledging that those responsible for the violence and destruction would face prosecution. The administration reaffirmed its commitment to protecting lives and property, warning that no one will be allowed to exploit public grievances for political gain.

The unfolding crisis has drawn international attention, with rights groups urging restraint and accountability, as Kenya grapples with economic pressure and public anger.

Community Discussion

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Newpost Africa Footer