Trump halts planned Iran strikes after Gulf leaders’ intervention, signals possible nuclear deal talks

WASHINGTON, United States (NPA) — President Donald Trump has called off the planned resumption of US military strikes against Iran, citing ongoing diplomatic interventions by Gulf leaders and renewed prospects for a negotiated settlement.
Trump said the decision followed engagements with the Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and United Arab Emirates President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
In a post on his Truth Social account, the US President said he had instructed the American military to suspend the planned strike on the Iran, which had been scheduled for the following day.
He said “serious negotiations” were now underway, adding that, based on the assessment of Gulf leaders, a deal was likely to be reached that would be acceptable to the United States as well as other countries in the Middle East and beyond.
Trump reiterated that any potential agreement would include a strict prohibition on Iran acquiring nuclear weapons.
“NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!” he declared.
In the statement, Trump said: “Based on my respect for the above-mentioned Leaders, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and the United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow.”
However, he added that US forces remain on standby and fully prepared to launch a large-scale military operation “on a moment’s notice” should negotiations fail or an acceptable deal not be reached.
The development comes after Trump earlier issued a warning to Iran, insisting that time was running out to reach an agreement or face severe military consequences.
Tensions have remained high amid the ongoing conflict dynamics in the Middle East, with the Strait of Hormuz emerging as a critical flashpoint with significant implications for global energy markets and international security.
Donald Trump warns Iran “time is running out” over agreement with US
JUST IN: Drone hits electrical generator at Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in United Arab Emirates
WHO declares Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak in DRC and Uganda a global health emergency
Trump responds to Reverend Dachomo’s cries over killings of Christians
IDF announces killing of senior Hamas commander Izz al-Din al-Haddad, other militants linked to October 7 attack
BREAKING: Nigerian-born ISIS Global Deputy Abu-Bilal al-Minuki killed in Joint US-Nigeria operation —Trump
Body of second missing US soldier recovered in Morocco
Russia announces successful test of 35,000-kilometre Sarmat Missile system
- Tinubu commissions NRS Headquarters, says new tax reforms will drive prosperity
- Climate change anxiety is rising — and so is the willingness to act on it
- Golden Globes want to make a comeback this year. Hollywood isn’t buying
- Baseball boosts TBS, NFL gives ESPN a kick and streamers love ‘Squid’
- Net zero pledges offer hope of avoiding catastrophe, says UN report

Community Discussion