JUST IN: Tinubu vows rescue of kidnapped Oyo schoolchildren and teachers, condemns killing of teacher by bandits

ABUJA, Nigeria (NPA) — President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has condemned as “barbaric” the reported killing of one of the abducted teachers from Esiele community, Oriire LGA, Oyo State, southern Nigeria, while assuring that federal and state authorities are working tirelessly to rescue all victims.
In a statement issued by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President (Information & Strategy), Tinubu sympathised with Governor Seyi Makinde and the people of Oyo State, pledging federal collaboration to secure the victims. He commended the Inspector-General of Police and state commands for swift deployment of tactical and intelligence teams, noting that the IGP is personally leading a “tech-driven operation” under his instructions.
Tinubu warned that the perpetrators and their collaborators will be “fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.” He further stressed that recurring cases of kidnapping highlight the urgent need for state police, urging the National Assembly to accelerate legislation to establish it.
The President reaffirmed his commitment to restoring normalcy and ensuring justice, insisting that no effort will be spared in rescuing the abducted victims and protecting communities across Nigeria.
Bandits invaded the community last Friday, abducting staff, students, and pupils from three schools — Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School — and killing two people. A video of the school principal in captivity pleading for help went viral yesterday, intensifying public concern.
The latest killing of the teacher while in captivity has been described as an attempt by the bandits to pressure authorities into meeting their demands.
Last week, another abduction of schoolchildren by terrorists was also reported in Borno State, the epicentre of terrorism and banditry in Nigeria, as the country continues to grapple with worsening insecurity. However, the weekend’s killing of ISIS’s second in command has been hailed widely as a way to weaken the chokehold of the armies of terrorists in the Lake Chad region.
ICC to open confirmation of charges hearing in case against Khalid Mohammed Ali Al-Hashri
Oyo Abduction: Adeleke orders immediate revamp of Safe School Initiative in Osun
HORROR IN ENUGU: Son beheads mother as another man kills sister, child in separate ritual-linked attacks
Oyo Police begin forensic probe of viral abduction video, IGP Disu visits Oriire communities
Peter Obi decries rising schoolchildren kidnappings, warns of deepening education crisis in Nigeria
NDLEA intercepts UK, Australia-bound cocaine, raids forests, seizes arms and arrests suspects nationwide
SERAP urges INEC to probe alleged diversion of ₦800bn by APC governors for 2027
Senator Ndume raises alarm as 42 school children abducted in fresh Borno attack
- Tinubu commissions NRS Headquarters, says new tax reforms will drive prosperity
- Climate change anxiety is rising — and so is the willingness to act on it
- Golden Globes want to make a comeback this year. Hollywood isn’t buying
- Baseball boosts TBS, NFL gives ESPN a kick and streamers love ‘Squid’
- Net zero pledges offer hope of avoiding catastrophe, says UN report

Community Discussion